Sunday, August 16, 2009

Lessons Learned

We had a free day during the Nordstrom Reunion and hesitantly decided to hike MT. Timpanogos with Danny's sister Keri and his niece Brook. Danny was going to go and just take the older kids but I was feeling a little left out and decided to join them and so that meant hiking with all 6 kids. We've never done anything like it before. I usually shy away from it because it usually means work and stress for me but I have never been on this hike and really wanted to go. I am so glad I did. Of course the first lesson learned is that "We can do hard things". I was so proud of Danny for carrying an extra 20 lbs. the entire way and for the kids who really never complained and practically ran up the entire way. Even little Aida made it the whole way up without complaining.
I learned something interesting about Audrie. She is so cautious and kind of a worrier. She didn't complain about being tired really but freaked out if I wasn't by her side. The higher we got the more she worried about falling off the edge of the trail. This provided a teaching moment. While we walked we talked about life and how Heavenly Father sent us here to experience many things, even though he knew it could potentially be dangerous but that if we would follow his instructions we would be safe. We talked about how walking slowly and away from the edge would keep her safe just like living the gospel would keep her safe as well and that in the end we were going to see some really cool caves and that it would all be worth it in the end.
This was a pretty tough hike for some of us and we had to take breaks every now and then. I sure felt out of shape but it inspired me to keep trying to get in shape. Danny and I arrived at the top very last but I just kept telling myself "slow and steady wins the race". This was another lesson on my mind. So many times I compare my self to others and it always brings me down but just because someone is passing me up in life doesn't diminish the fact that we are on the same trail and headed to the same place. In the end it doesn't really matter how or when I get there as long as I get there. We all have different trials and paces at different times in our lives. I was secretly hoping though that those who ran ahead would slow down a little so we could enjoy the hike together and it got me thinking about a poem or something I read once that touched on that topic. In life we always want to have a winner but in God's race it's about the destination and there is no winner so maybe we need to slow down a little and stay back to help the one who is slower than the rest and enjoy the journey together.
Here we all are at the top together. This is the ultimate comparison really. My greatest desire is that we all make it back to our Heavenly Father. Man, I love my family. Wow, all that from a little day hike. These are a just a few of the things I thought about while I was walking up that beautiful mountain. Now coming down the mountain was a whole different story. Everyone was hungry or hot or had to pee and everyone's feet hurt. We pretty much complained the whole way back down and I had to carry Aida most of the way down, who after making it all the way up on her own, had finally had enough. We were so tired when it was all over but in the end it left me wanting more. I would do it all again in a heart beat. I had so much fun and I felt great about my abilities to take my kids on such a big outing. This is definitely something I want to do again very soon.

4 comments:

Nash said...

WOW. way to go. i would have also been leery of going with the kids.
you guys look so cute and like a fun group that i'd want to hang with.
good parallels to the gospel and life too.
i

Jill said...

Ya that was very insightful. I am so feeling like that too that everyone is passing us up too. I guess we just need to sit back and let things come slow and easy. Love you Beth and Miss you lots.

Brittney said...

It's kind of funny but every time I am out in nature I get reflective like that as well. It's nice that there are still places in the world that you can escape to and have those kind of moments. Sounds like it's an experience that everyone will treasure!

Barnes Blog said...

You are so amazing! I love that you talked to your kids about that, and that you are such a well rounded person. I am very impressed and it makes me want to so better. I like that poem, I agree. You are so amazing, I hope you never compare yourself and feel bad at what you find, you are great. Congrats on finishing, and even more congrats on your amazingly beautiful family. I hope things are going well.
SYLYB