Okay so I went out and bought 1 can of powdered butter and 1 can of powdered buttermilk and attempted to make buttermilk syrup this morning. It actually turned out pretty well. Slightly different flavor but still very good and the kids loved it. I think it would be a real treat to be able to make this syrup in an emergency and all the ingredients have a long shelf life for food storage. I grew up calling it Bart's syrup because my brother Bart brought the recipe home from Scout Camp I think and that is what mom always called it but around here my kids call it Grandma's syrup and while we ate breakfast this morning they talked about how much they miss her. This syrup always seems to bring up memories of Grandma.
So here is the recipe for Grandma's Buttermilk Syrup(using food storage items):
In a large sauce pan add:
1/2 cup powdered butter
2 1/2 Tablespoons of powdered buttermilk
1 1/2 cups of water
Bring to a boil until it turns a carmel color
Then add:
1 teaspoon of vanilla
1/2 teaspoon of Baking soda
I calculated that if you wanted to use this recipe once a week for a full year you would need to store approximately: 1 can of Pwd buttermilk, 3 cans of Pwd butter, 1 8 oz. jar of vanilla and1 small box of baking soda
That is for just a single batch but it was just enough for my family this morning. Although I'm sure a double batch would be needed for larger families or if you have bigger kids that eat more than my little ones.
So this morning I used store bought pancake mix for our pancakes but I have a cool recipe for whole wheat pancakes that are really very good and much easier than you would think. In fact when I heard about this recipe it changed my thinking on using wheat. I thought that making pancake batter with my food storage wheat would be too time consuming considering I would have to grind the wheat first but this recipe you don't need to do that. It is all done in the blender. This really is interesting and worth trying. It is a really fast and easy way to make homemade pancakes. I really like the idea of using ingredients that have no preservatives and the whole wheat really makes it extra healthy. Check out this website for the recipe and a complete explanation of the directions.
http://simplylivingsmart.com/food-storage-videos/blender-pancake.html
I have tried this with a slightly different recipe and it turned out really great. I will post that recipe when I find it. I may have to call my neighbor to get it again because I can't seem to find it anywhere right now.
So there is my first successful attempt at making one breakfast completely from food storage. I think it was a complete success.
🤓 new method 🤓 Bss Rofl Mod Brawl Stars
6 years ago



3 comments:
wow beth you are way to good for me. i don'tknow where you get the energy.
YOu are freaking AWESOME. I am overwhelmed already. maybe you can help me and we can do some of that when I come next month because.....................I am COMING this time! I am pulling some money off my tree outside.
Never heard of powdered butter or powdered buttermilk before. This syrup definitely sounds interesting. maybe this will be something the kids and I can make, for experimenting. They like to experiment in the kitchen.
I miss you Beth!
Post a Comment